Wednesday 31 October 2007

Being mugged

It had to happen sooner or later, living in East London, or anywhere in the UK for that matter.

I was jumped by about 8 'hoodies' on the way home this evening, who brandished a knife, smashed both my bottles of wine and made off with a £10 mobile phone and £20 in cash. And who have condemned me to spending the next couple of weeks without bank cards etc etc*.

I felt a tad guilty at the UKIP conference when I joined in the knee-jerk applause when Gerard Batten announced that a UKIP government would double the number of prison places, right now, I'm wishing I'd clapped a damn' sight harder and shouted "Treble! Treble!".

Bastards.

* Having cancelled the whole f***ing lot in the space of 20 minutes once I got home.

10 comments:

Scott Freeman said...

Jesus, tough break. Hope you're ok.

CatWoman said...

OMG R U Allright luv? Did they injure your body?
Glad you're in 1 piece still.
Shit like that makes you a bit shakey for awhile.
Usually they don't bother stalking you or try to steal your identy. They just take yer cash and that's it. But you shouldn't be w/o bank cards for weeks. Most banks can issue you a debit card on the spot and credit cards should be mailed with new numbers straight away.
Good luck with that. You should report the incident with police so it's documented just in case.

The Remittance Man said...

I'm really sorry to here this. I hope you're okay.

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you are OK.

No doubt the powers that be will tell you that this is an unusual incident and crime is actually quite low..perceptions and all that.

if you dont report it to the police it will not be in the figures, even then its a bit hit and miss.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Thanks a lot for all your sympathy!

Physically not injured.

Yes, I did report it to the cops, that's what they're there for, isn't it, to record crimes and make sympathetic noises?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are OK. Looks like the universe doesn't want you to have a mobile phone, though.

Stupid of them; since you don't strike me as a man who would drink anti-freeze, they would have been better off grabbing the wine and leaving the phone.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

So I guess it was trick rather than treat

I would have been tempted to smash the wine over their heads....(only joking here)

Glad you're ok

I wonder what they spent the £20 on

Its not even enough for a five pound rock of crack for each of them...

Penny Pincher said...

Sorry to hear of this - glad you're physically all right.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you suffered the same as my bro. Take this chance to reduce the amount of plastic you keep in the wallet to a minimum and keep the rest at home. Cuts the hassle down.

Mark Wadsworth said...

PT, I'm down to one card now!