Tuesday 22 January 2008

Yippee! Hooray!

I can now tick off items one and two from my 8 for 2008 list, to wit, we have found somewhere nice to rent and have completed on the sale of our old house for original asking price*.

I am now betting on there being a house price crash over the next two or three years; I apologise in advance for the deluge of posts on falling house prices that are going to appear on this 'blog.

* I took the average of the actual selling prices of three broadly similar houses on our street that were sold in the last six months and added on £25,000 for the cost/value of the loft conversion that none of the other houses had.

8 comments:

Gregg said...

Now for that libertarian coalition government on your wish list.

Vindico said...

Congrats Mark. I think you cashed in at just the right time. Even if there is not a crash you could probably earn more from other investments. I fear we are well and truly buggered and in for a long and deep and painful recession. I hope I'm wrong.

Simon Fawthrop said...

Well done. I know a couple of people who cashed out 2-3 years ago on the expectation of a crash and a a bit pissed off that it didn't happen then.

Looks like you have your timing spot on.

I need to decide if I want to continue with my move, a trade up, as we are expecting the vendors of the house we are looking at to get back to us in a couple of weeks. Difficult decisions.

Mark Wadsworth said...

GS, the timing was influenced by other events (this is worthy of a short post in its own right, we stuck it on the market in early November). Whether it turns out to have been the right time, we will see... Best of luck with your own move.

Roger Thornhill said...

I hope it works out for you. All the best.

R

Penny Pincher said...

My fingers are crossed it will work out well for you.
I've just tagged you for a Household Management Tips meme - it would be interesting to see what you'd come up with if you decide to pick up the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Bloody brave of you - the risk is so asymmetrical. Good luck.

CatWoman said...

So glad for you.