Monday 29 September 2008

"Rural housing shortage worsens"

This headline on the BBC website caught my eye, as it's one of my favourite topics (see here or here).

However, Vindico seems to have beaten me to it this time, and I've said what I have to say in the comments over there.

NB, in this context it is important to remember that the National Housing Federation is the umbrella body for Housing Associations, who are in turn creatures of legislation, owned by the State and generously funded by the taxpayer. They can compete unfairly with private builders but have even less democratic accountability than local councils. Not to be confused with the Home Builders' Federation.

And why do the BBC deem it necessary to accompany an article about rural housing with a picture of some, er, rural houses? For the avoidance of doubt, some of them look like this:

1 comments:

Jock Coats said...

I woder if it is just coincidence that this news comes on the day a conference started on rural community land trusts...:)