Tuesday 16 December 2008

Another day, another desperate throw of the dice (15)

Today's wizard wheeze is giving FTB's an interest free loan of 30% towards their new home, it's only a matter of time before they go the whole hog and give FTB's a cash grant, as I suggested here, I suppose.

I like this bit best:

Shadow housing minister Grant Shapps said the scheme 'is yet another example of media-orientated policy being announced on the hoof'.

Exactly! It reminds me of something that I posted six months ago...
---------------------------------
From the weekend FT:

"Grant Shapps, shadow housing minister, said it was time for the government to take measures to help consumers buy homes ... The most urgent need was to scrap stamp duty for most first-time buyers purchasing homes worth less than £250,000, Mr Shapps said in an interview with the FT..."

F***ing hellski, it's almost as if they've been taking advice from Krusty Allsop ... oh ... they have!

--------------------------------
Twats, the lot of them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It rather looks as if they'll do anything to prevent prices from falling.

The party must go on...

for ever?

Simon Fawthrop said...

What an excellent suggestion. I can then fund The Sprog to buy his house and save an extra 30% while I'm at it.

I also get to transfer wealth without the need for worrying too much about inheritance tax as he will make the money from living in a more expensive house then he would nortmally afford, get a much better return on my savings than the pittance I am currently getting and hedge against inflation as house prices start to bubble again.

I can't see what's wrong with it, from a selfish standpoint that is.

What's that you say? The Government will make sure we middle class voters with savings can't game the system? I don't think so, we are talking about A) The Conservatives and b) big Governement.

Mark Wadsworth said...

TGS, whether your plan stacks up depends on how much further house prices fall. If TGS junior waits another two years, he'll get about 30% off today's price anyway.

Anonymous said...

But Margaret Beckett is four-square behind HIPs which has the effect of discouraging sellers. I suppose, in theory, insisting on HIPs increases prices by decreasing supply and interest free loans increase prices by increasing demand.

However, I don't think that's what the government has in mind. After all, the reasons for having HIPs can be reduced to (i) being the vehicle for EU required energy certification and (ii) "complete data on everything" lunacy since all HIP info has to be filed at the ODPM (or whatever it's now called).

Mark Wadsworth said...

It's just called Communities this week.

Anonymous said...

MW

Thanks for that info.

On my brief visit to Communities' website, I saw for myself what a buzzy, busy place it is and how brilliantly it's led by that buzzy, busy person of limited stature (in all senses of that phrase) Ms Blears.

Furry Conservative said...

"Only those who qualify" could get the 30% free loan. I guarantee those will fall under the following bands:

* Public sector staff
* Labour voters

Mark Wadsworth said...

FC, "public sector staff"?

They're called key workers and that's been in place for ages.