Thursday 30 April 2009

Typical. You wait all day for a fakecharity and then two come along at once.

Submitted by Lancashire Lardbucket, "As we're loosening up on the fake charity front may I add my own suggestion? Here's another fake charity I'd never heard of. I give you the Ethnic Minority Development Association! Almost all of their funding comes from the county council and the regional development agencies as well as the UK government... Thieving, backward bastards to a man."

The linked article is well worth a read (the quangocracy at its finest), and the 2008 accounts do indeed show income from the following sources:

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council - £64,578
North West Development Agency - £25,000
Blackburn College - £23,500
University of Central Lancashire - £3,542
Lancashire Police - £300
Blackburn Rovers - £2,500
Miscellaneous Donations - £2,624
Bank Interest - £1,893

2 comments:

Lancashire Lardbucket said...

Glad to be of service Mark.

It makes you wonder just how many of these there are, doesn't it?

Whenever anyone mentions a new charity to me the first thing I do is Charity Commission them.

The fake charity hunt is a great new game to play, perhaps even with friends.

I'm off to watch Question Time and laugh myself into a coma.

If I find any more I shall pass them on.

Mark Wadsworth said...

LL, thanks, yes please, pass 'em on.

I've got into the same habit, but every now and then I find a charity that is in fact legit, and it's almost a bit of a disappointment!