Thursday 22 July 2010

Boo! There's no 'but' this time.

From The Daily Mail:

David Cameron will today launch a national citizen service that will see hundreds of thousands of 16-year-olds sent on summer camps at a cost of up to £1,400 each.

The £50million scheme aims to get a disaffected generation of teenagers from different racial and social backgrounds to join in local community activities. The Prime Minister will announce that 10,000 school leavers will be able to take part in a summer volunteering programme from next year...

8 comments:

Lola said...

Oh kerrist. Give me my £5,600 back (I have four children) and I'll spend it on MY kids - properly.

Mark Wadsworth said...

L, indeed. Best thing for 16 year olds is get a summer job and/or start revising for A levels.

AntiCitizenOne said...

Once what goes on in the "Cameron Youth" camps gets out (what do you think 16-17 yr olds will do away from their parents and in large groups?) I'm sure this policy will be shelved.

dearieme said...

We used to send the daughter to sports camps. Quietly, without telling us, she learnt to shoot.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know how it's different from this.

I'd also like to understand how sending kids away on summar camps is related to getting them involved in local community activities!

bayard said...

"I'd love to know how it's different from this."

'Cos it's going to be run by friends of Dave's, of course.

PJH said...

Lola said: Oh kerrist. Give me my £5,600 back (I have four children) and I'll spend it on MY kids - properly.


Hmm - I have no kids, but my tax is going towards this; how much should I be getting back?

Lola said...

PJH - Yeah I know. I was just making a point.