Wednesday 29 August 2012

"Cow rescued by fire crews after getting stuck in tree"

Steve A spotted this one at the BBC:

A cow had to be rescued by fire crews in Cumbria after falling 30m (100ft) down an embankment and getting stuck in a tree.

Farmer Phillip Armstrong discovered the shorthorn heifer down the steep drop of a quarry after noticing it was missing from the farm in Sheriff Park, Penrith.

The 300kg cow was saved from plunging to the bottom after getting stuck on a sapling, the fire service said. The animal was sedated by a vet and winched to safety using slings.

The 11-month-old bovine was left "sore and bruised" but is now back on its feet after Tuesday's fall. Mr Armstrong's mother Sandra said it was a "happy ending in the end after a very stressful afternoon".


Versatile blokes, those firemen.

"Which service do you require? Police, ambulance or fire brigade?"

"I don't know to be honest. I'm not reporting a crime and unless your ambulance drivers are trained as vets they're not much good to me either."

"Do you wish to report a fire?"

"Well, no not really."

"There's not much we can do to help you then, is there?"

"Hang on then... OK, which service would you send if one of my cows were on fire?"

4 comments:

Pavlov's Cat said...

And I'm sure the Firemen also appreciated a 'happy ending' after a stressful afternoon.


BTW new capcha , I had to refresh it 8 times before I could actually post this comment. Oft times I don't bother commenting when I see sites have this, not worth the hassle

Mark Wadsworth said...

PC, good point. It is really irritating, so I've turned it off but left 'registered users only' on. Let's see how much spam i get...

James Higham said...

Damn cows getting stuck in trees - can't take them anywhere.

Bayard said...

"The animal was sedated by a vet"

You bet. Me and a mate rescued a cow that was stuck in a tree once and had to run like f*ck once we'd got it out. Cows don't do gratitude.