Tuesday 30 April 2013

Another "car attacks house" story

From The Daily Mail:

A grandmother has had an 'incredible escape' after a driver passed out at the wheel of his car and crashed through the living room of her bungalow, partially demolishing it.

Marianne Heath was just metres away in her bedroom when the £25,000 Audi convertible veered off the road and smashed through her wooden gate, down her drive and through the living room wall of her home.

Mrs Heath, 72, said: 'I had an incredible escape. A few minutes later I would have been right there - but now there's a huge hole in my house.' The 60-year-old driver is recovering in hospital after the crash in Gowerton, Swansea, with his new car a write-off. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.


Sadly, the article only says how much such cars cost and not what the house is worth, but as I don't wish to leave you on tenterhooks I've looked it up for you on Zoopla. The average selling price of a detached bungalow over the past year is probably about £160,000, something like that.

8 comments:

Derek said...

No house price? I think a stiff letter to the editor is called for!

Anonymous said...

You two clowns aren't a patch on that other shill, I've forgotten his name, the green energy one.

Bob E said...

Richard - I think those "shills" you are justifiably taking to task are in fact but operators sitting behind the one "auto comment generating spam device" - as indeed may well be the case in then case of that other "shill" you mention. He at least had the excuse of an ambition of becoming the Head Honcho of a heavily government backed Green Investment Bank post his career in politics (which might have arrived sooner than he expected and in ways which put that ambition into question) but at least he had an excuse. These guys are just f-ing annoying. Oh actually, I suppose that could be said of him, too ...

Mark Wadsworth said...

RA, do you mean the two shills I just deleted?

BE, I don't get it at all.

If I want to book a hotel or a taxi, I google them, I don't go searching blogs for some random comment which might or might not link to a hotel or taxi service where i need one.

Bob E said...

MW - "I don't go searching blogs for some random comment which might or might not link to a hotel or taxi service where i need one".

Now that's what I call "seeding the idea for a novel or a film script"

Are they just "randomly generated comments" designed to serve the purposes of a couple of f-ing numpties with a weird business model - or are they "code"? What happens if you do "click on them". Is that website you are looking at really for a cab hire business or does it have, buried within it, something that could threaten the future of the western world? Who possesses the algorithm that will "unpick the spam", who is the mysterious and exotic Furz Downcar?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Wadsworth said...

BE, I do not know the answers to any of that.

But there is a trade-off between
- allowing all anonymous comments (that gets you loads of spam),
- requiring users to log on before they comment (which is mildly irritating for the user but cuts out three-quarters of spam) and
- having the inane word and number verification thingy (which is so irritating that you get hardly any comments altho' it reduces spam a bit further).

So I went for the middle option which means every day I spend a minute or two deleting spam.

On the KLN blog, even though it's "allow all anonymous comments" nearly all spam gets blocked anyway (G-d bless Google and all who sail in her).

Bob E said...

MW - I think I have guessed the "magic words" that that machine is scanning blogs for, courtesy of that nonexistent f-wit who "wrote" the post you just deleted.

The magic words are, obviously, "FOAD" and "Numpties!" ...