Tuesday 17 December 2013

Fun Online Polls: Xmas cards & Romania and Bulgaria

The responses to last week's Fun Online Poll were as follows:

How many Xmas cards will you send this year?

None - 46%

Half a dozen - 26%
A dozen or so - 13%
To everybody whose address I have - 6%
Other, please specify - 9%


Top 'other' answer was from Ross:

I'll be sending cards to all my friends... So none.
----------------------------------------------------------
The UK government, having so accurately predicted the number of people who would come to the UK from the A8 countries back in 2004, is now confidently predicting that the UK won't see mass Romanian and Bulgarian immigration.

They were clever enough this time not to commit themselves to an actual number, but what's your guess?

Enter your forecast here or use the widget in the sidebar.

Specific immigration statistics are always guesswork, but changes in the official total population of a country are probably reliable, so we can start from that end.

The populations of Romania and Bulgaria are currently given as 20.1 million and 7.3 million, so we can easily check those again in a year or two and reasonably assume that if there is a reduction, that this is down to emigration to the UK, or indeed Germany, Italy or Spain.

4 comments:

James Higham said...

None, sending none. Doing it all online.

Lola said...

I thought you were 'on holiday'?

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, good.

L, actually I'm never on holiday, it's just that my employers, Her Indoors, my kids and my campaigning friends take it in turn asking me to do stuff.

Lola said...

MW. Ich auch.