Monday 15 December 2014

Movie Review - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The generally good reviews of the last Hobbit movie have prompted me to catch up on all the Hobbit films, the last one at the cinema. Here, I cover The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but I'll be doing the other films too.

I'm not sure that I'd have been very happy if I'd paid full price and seen The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. One of the criticisms of the Lord of the Rings is that it was 3 films of hobbits walking, a somewhat unfair criticism, but a lot of The Hobbit did feel like that (although mostly dwarves in this case). It also felt like not much had happened in the film (there are things that happen, but they don't go anywhere at this point).

Yet, I want to see some more of it. I want to see where it goes. And I realised that my experience with The Hobbit was a bit like my experience with Game of Thrones. You watch a few episodes, you get to see the world they live in, the characters that inhabit it and a bit of story, and you're interested where it goes from here. Viewed as a 9 hour TV series, The Hobbit is so far interesting, I'd like to watch some more of it, and compared to say, a box set of Game of Thrones, actually a bit cheaper (I find the cost of TV boxsets compared to renting or buying movies weird.).

0 comments: